SEO Best Practices for 2019
What’s the Best SEO Strategy for 2019?
SEO is an essential component of driving qualified traffic and leads to your website. But so many companies don’t have a good handle on what SEO even means today. It’s not completely their fault. There is so much misinformation about SEO out there, and it’s tough to sort through what’s current and what’s accurate.
What makes SEO such a tough discipline is that it is ever-evolving, with search engines releasing updates all the time and often without warning. The best way to stay ahead of search engine algorithm updates is simply to adhere to best practices from the beginning.
So, let’s take a look at what SEO best practices look like as marketers gear up to head into 2019. Combine these powerful forces to put together the best SEO strategy your company has ever seen.
AI-Powered SEO Tools
Artificial intelligence has been closely connected to search since 2015, when Google rolled out RankBrain, a machine learning system within its algorithm that helps process search results. RankBrain uses machine learning to understand the meaning of the content it crawls. It infers user intent from search queries and uses feedback to continuously improve the accuracy of its results over time.
AI has huge practical applications for search, and many are already in play. Marketers who incorporate AI-fueled keyword research into their SEO strategy will see a boost in results in the coming year.
Some examples of AI-fueled SEO tools already available to marketers:
- HubSpot: One of the coolest HubSpot AI tools is its Content Strategy tool, which uses machine learning to understand the themes that search engines associate your content with. The technology provides useful topic suggestions and detailed metrics like keyword competitiveness and sub-topic relevancy that help you hone your SEO strategy in on the best content areas.
- Market Brew: Market Brew is an AI-based SEO tool that helps you figure out why your website ranks above or below other sites on SERPs and helps predict your average position well in advance by modeling how search engine algorithms work.
- MarketMuse: MarketMuse is an AI-powered research assistant that accelerates content creation and optimization to help brands win at organic search.
No matter which AI tool you use, be sure your human team is following best practices when it comes to conducting your keyword research and selecting the best keywords for your brand.
Consider factors like relevance, competitiveness, and search volume to make your selections. Relevance should always be your primary criterion, and you’ll want to include a healthy mix of difficulty scores and search volumes to round out your strategy. Combine smart strategy with state-of-the-art, AI-fueled tools to set yourself up for a very successful 2019.
Voice search shows no signs of slowing down, and companies may see their share of organic impressions drop as a result of search engines increasingly returning voice-optimized results.
Google voice search queries were up 35X from 2008-2016, and the voice revolution is just getting started. Image credit: WordStream
So, how do you optimize your site for voice search?
According to HubSpot’s findings, there are several ways you can start optimizing your site for the voice search revolution:
- Page speed – appears to be a huge factor in voice search. The average voice search result page loads in 4.6 seconds, which is 52% faster than the average page.
- Short answer length – an average of about 29 seconds per answer is returned in voice search results.
- HTTPS – over 70% of Google Home voice search results are on HTTPS sites.
- An authoritative domain – establish credibility and thought leadership to become an authority in your space.
- Linguistic simplicity – use simple language when writing content for your site.
Video content is incredibly important to SEO success in 2019 and beyond. The numbers on video’s impact on SEO are staggering:
- Video content is 50 times more likely to drive organic search results than plain text. (Omnicore, 2018)
- Including a video in a post increases organic traffic from search results by 157%. (Search Engine People, 2017
Include videos that are genuine, authentic, and valuable to your audience to see the biggest impact.